Executive Director, HR Program Office
About the Job
While this leader will serve as the primary HR Business Partner for the Finance function, this position is accountable for supporting multiple national functions (except the OCEO, OGP, Human Resources, Strategic Planning, Corporate Communications/Issues Management, MSSA and IT) with over 6700 employees and approximately 1400 contingent workers. This position is responsible for integrating and executing multiple HR services in support of national function strategies, as well as collaborating with national COE/Shared Services, and regional HR partners to lead human capital priorities. This position is responsible for leading a team of HR professionals who specialize in HR consulting, employee and labor relations, organizational design and effectiveness, workforce planning, and who provide day-to-day, strategic and tactical HR support to managers and employees in multiple locations across the program. This position incorporates a broad generalist background in human resource management skills and expertise in strategic client partnership, including employee and labor relations, talent development, performance management, workforce development, culture design and change management, diversity and inclusion, conflict resolution, organizational change and restructuring, budgeting, compensation, and recruitment.
This position is a key leader, thought partner and driver of business performance as well as human capital and development. This leader is responsible for proposing and directly managing the delivery of HR solutions to enable the respective national functions strategies and business plans.Requirements
- Provides strategic leadership and guidance to functional executive leaders and teams in the implementation and management of human capital strategies in the execution of business initiatives. Specifically, develops and implements human capital strategies for Program Offices, encompassing recruitment, retention, leadership development, talent and skills management to ensure that the organization has the people capabilities to deliver on business strategies.
- Provides end-to-end people issues coverage – including data collection, analysis, and resolution/recommendation.
- Understands and identifies the human capital implications of regional/functional strategies.
- Serves as thought partners with senior leaders using organization effectiveness strategies and methods to execute business strategies, improve operations and performance, and optimize roles and responsibilities.
- Uses relevant business data to create justifications, provide metrics, and create business cases to communicate and/or develop strategic HR programs.
- Serves as change management advocate to positively impact organizational effectiveness; provides guidance and coaching to leadership team on change management.
- Drives and enables cultural transformation to support a progressive, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Collaborates with other HR partners and leaders to share best practices, critical needs issues, and initiatives.
- Provides coaching and guidance to managers on organizational development related matters, including organizational analysis, strategy, structure and key processes to support organizational/business needs.
- Designs and implements organizational change strategies, including change management and associated communications. Provides guidance on and works with business leaders to drive organizational changes in a way that preserves integrity of business needs and respects individuals impacted by the change.
- Oversees strategic workforce planning and workforce management, managing redeployments and other actions impacting the workforce.
- Develops business cases to ensure funding for implementation of workforce strategies and specific solutions. Defines and implements workforce planning strategies and processes which achieve short and long term objectives to improve productivity as well as reduce costs.
- May participate in National Bargaining processes.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Reports to the SVP, National Human Resources (HR Consulting) while supporting several national functions leaders.
- Key participant on HR Consulting Leadership Team.
- Primary HR consultant and coach to Senior Leaders within the national functions organizations.
- Regional VP’s of HR
- HR Centers of Excellence (COE’s)
- National Diversity and Inclusion
SHORT AND LONG-TERM ACCOUNTABILITIES / CHALLENGES
- Industry Dynamics - The health care industry is among the most dynamic industries in the United States at this time with: changing regulation; increasing consolidation, competition, and industry disruption; and changing care delivery models that will be heavily impacted by emerging technology and changing market conditions. Workforce planning and talent management will remain a critical function along with extensive support for new and evolving care delivery models. Change management with focus on resiliency is a critical need to prepare the workforce for new roles, new delivery models, and new technology in coming years.
- Financial Impacts – Kaiser Permanente has a goal of leading the nation in making health care affordable for all. This requires regional standardization of work content, role optimization, increasing use of technology, and greater productivity and efficiencies.
- Evolving HR organization - The HR organization of Kaiser Permanente is evolving to a national shared services model with new systems launching over the next three years. Centers of Excellence will reside at the national level; however, key HR Consulting services will remain in the regions. That includes Business, Organizational, Labor/Employee Relations, Workforce Planning and Learning Consulting functions.
National Functions Specific:
- Successfully implement HRSDM across National Functions.
- Break down existing HR silos to make “Connected HR” a reality.
- Build and maintain a strong HR team to support all functions and locations.
COMPLIANCE AND INTEGRITY
- Models and reinforces ethical behavior in self and others in accordance with the KP Principles of Responsibility, adheres to organizational policies and guidelines, supports compliance initiatives, maintains confidences, admits mistakes, conducts business with honesty, shows consistency in words and actions, and follows through on commitments.
- All leaders are accountable for communication, implementation, enforcement, monitoring, and oversight of compliance policies and practices in their departments.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business or related discipline. Master’s degree in related field is preferred. Specialized training and/or certification in areas of change management and organization effectiveness a plus.
- 15+ years of experience in Human Resources leadership roles with cross-functional HR accountabilities and progressive levels of responsibility. Significant generalist and organization consulting experience supporting senior level business executives.
- Accomplished leader with acquiring talent, building large teams, and mentoring others, as well as successfully developing diverse, high-performance teams in highly complex environments.
- Experience in leading implementation of HR programs and supporting systems in shared services environment.
- Strong business acumen. Ability to navigate complex organizations and understand the operating, financial, and critical success factors of the business. Requires deep understanding of the business environments supported, including business strategies and functional/operational knowledge.
- Working knowledge of organization design, change management, succession management, workforce planning, employee relations, and labor relations methodologies and processes.
- Strong consultation skills and the ability to customize solutions to the needs of the organization.
- Strong ability to partner; collaborates with and orchestrates the work effort of HR Functional Strategy leaders to design customized HR solutions to meet business challenges.
- Strong influence skills and the ability to advise, recommend and persuade at all levels of the organization, especially senior and executive levels.
- Superior critical thinking, problem solving, and leadership skills.
- Prior experience leading and supporting multiple change initiatives.
- Superior client service skills, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent verbal and written communications.
KP CORE BEHAVIORS
- Focuses on the Customer
- Takes Accountability
- Drives for Results
- Communicates Effectively
- Champions Innovation and Change
- Develops Self/Others