Sr. Patent Counsel
About the Job
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Be part of the exciting future of entertainment and add your talents to those of an amazing team. For more than 50 years Dolby has led the way in developing innovative entertainment products and technologies used by consumers and professionals worldwide. Innovations from Dolby can be heard and seen in consumer audio and video products, entertainment software, and professional sound applications, including music recording, broadcasting, and sound for motion pictures.
Now Dolby is defining high-definition audio and video for delivering breathtaking digital cinema. Our long-standing commitment to research and development enables our focus to remain on solutions that work today and are prepared for the future. That’s what keeps us on the leading edge of the industry.
Our company philosophy encourages creativity, collaboration, and the desire to perceive things differently. We offer a unique and rich array of benefits, including a flexible work schedule and an assortment of health coverage options. We are looking for talented individuals to join our team.
The successful candidate will be an experienced patent attorney responsible for supporting licensing programs and developing patent portfolios, particularly for laser projection, LCD and DLP technologies, 3D, cinema media servers, and image processing. The position includes a variety of responsibilities such as capturing invention disclosures, performing and managing prosecution, analyzing third-party patents, and conducting due diligence related to potential acquisitions.
This position will be located in San Francisco and reports to the Sr. Director, Patent Counsel based out of Sunnyvale.
- Align a growing, worldwide patent portfolio with a dynamic business, including the capture and review of invention disclosures and the preparation of recommendations for the invention review committee.
- Manage domestic and foreign outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications of particular importance to Dolby’s business.
- Advise on the acquisition, development, and commercialization of third-party technologies and related intellectual property matters.
- Advise on third-party patent claims against products and technologies.
- Support patent licensing and enforcement activities.
- Provide information and training to internal groups as required regarding patent protection procedures and programs.
- Provide such other patent, licensing and intellectual property support as may be assigned.
- 5+ years of experience as a patent attorney in a top-tier law firm, and, preferably some experience working in-house.
- Juris doctor degree.
- Admission to the California State Bar and USPTO.
- In-depth understanding of the key processes in cinema systems, such as laser projectors, optics, and modulation technologies.
- Masters degree in electrical engineering or physics or bachelors degree with equivalent experience, especially in the area of cinema projection technologies.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Self-initiative and ability to work with minimum of direction under pressure.
- Superior organization and project management skills.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications
- Experience in intellectual property licensing and litigation.
- Experience in standard bodies and patent pools.
- Management of worldwide patent strategies.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.