Technical Design Director
About the Job
Jockey is currently seeking a Director, Technical Design to join the Product Development team in Kenosha, WI (between Chicago, IL and Milwaukee, WI). In this key role, you will be responsible for maintaining and driving design aesthetics through consistent fit and construction that aligns to our customer needs.
The Director, Technical Design must be a hands-on leader who loves to collaborate cross-functionally across peer teams, mentor/train staff and factories, and interpret the design vision through execution of fit on the body. This position is key to ensuring product quality and integrity across both men’s and women’s categories throughout the product development process.
- Join a world-renowned, innovative apparel firm that has been in business for over 140 years. People enjoy working for JOCKEY because JOCKEY is unlike any other product … it stands above the rest in product design, comfort, and quality.
- Lead and develop technical teams in both the U.S. and Hong Kong
- “Play in your own sandbox” with access to two Jockey-owned sample rooms
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Execute design aesthetic and vision from sketch into a product that meets fit expectations for the consumer.
- Oversee the development, maintenance, and integrity of consistent size and fit standards/platforms, grade rules, & tolerances across all collections.
- Oversee the patternmaking from block through graded patterns to ensure design aesthetic and fit expectation is achieved per calendar and costing requirements.
- Oversee fit model sessions, budget, scheduling and collaborations with design partners.
- Strategize execution of team’s activities, ensuring consistency of process and quality of information.
- Implement goals and initiatives, drive efficiencies and process improvements.
- Responsible for all team’s communication and activities with contractors for all sample development in a timely and effective manner.
- Provide direction and recommendations on process, quality and cost improvement opportunities.
- Collaborate cross-functionally regarding fabric, components, fit, and quality on new and existing products.
- Lead the team in the development of sewing standards, construction details and machine needs for new product set up and start up protocol.
- Ensure during the development process by preproduction that all products are manufactural in the production environment.
- Direct the PD Tech team in the transition of all key product sewing and construction inputs and knowledge to the Quality Team to ensure success in the bulk environment with clear expectations.
- Drive the development process with contractors on issues with patterns, markers, sewing, and specifications on site or remotely.
- Support the VP of Quality in driving Jockey Quality.
- Ensure PD Tech Team drives integrity and consistency in the PLM system as related to tech packs, patterning, construction and garment functions.
- Directly onboard & train factories on brand product standards and expectations.
- Develop and coach Technical Designers via performance feedback, goal-setting & development plans.
- Advanced degree in Technical Design, Pattern Making or Textiles preferred, Bachelor’s degree required.
- 15+ years of experience as technical designer. Emphasis on pattern and marker making desired.
- 10+ years of experience managing a team of technical designers desired.
- Ideally worked within a manufacturing/sewing environment in a senior level capacity.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of urgency.
- Strong and proven interpersonal skills for building relationships with internal and external partners.
- Strong knowledge of global manufacturing and operations capabilities.
- Working knowledge of Gerber/Micro pattern design systems or equivalent.
- Excellent communication, decision making, problem solving and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to strategize and drive through results
- Must have the ability to travel both nationally and internationally – up to 40%
In return for your expertise, JOCKEY offers a competitive and comprehensive flexible benefits package which includes Medical/Dental/Life/Vision, 401(k), educational support, paid Volunteerism program, fitness club discounts, onsite health & wellness programs, generous employee discounts, a business casual work environment, a challenging work environment, summer hours, and exciting career growth opportunities!
Follow us on LinkedIn! To find out more about our history and what it's like working at JOCKEY, visit us on interest!
Jockey International, Inc., and its subsidiaries, provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at 262-658-8111, or send a facsimile request to 262-653-3014.